As Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies continue to gain mainstream attention, more Americans are considering the role of digital assets in their retirement portfolios.
The volatile nature of cryptocurrencies, combined with their potential for substantial gains, has piqued the interest of investors seeking alternative ways to secure their financial future. In this blog, we'll explore the intersection of Bitcoin and retirement and discuss how a financial advisor can be a valuable resource in helping you make informed decisions. Here’s what you should know.
What is Cryptocurrency?
Cryptocurrency is a digital or virtual currency that relies on cryptography for security. During the first half of 2023, Bitcoin (BTC) and various other cryptocurrencies have rebounded following significant losses experienced in 2022. Nevertheless, the prolonged "crypto winter" (which some experts say is now over) has revealed vulnerabilities within the digital currency landscape, such as excessive risk-taking, the promotion of illegal securities, and even fraudulent activities.
Unlike traditional currencies issued and regulated by governments*, cryptocurrencies operate on blockchain decentralized technology. This technology helps provide transparency and immutability of transactions. (*The sale of cryptocurrency is generally only regulated if the sale (i) constitutes the sale of a security under state or federal law, or (ii) is considered money transmission under state law or conduct otherwise making the person a money services business (“MSB”) under federal law.)
One of the most well-known cryptocurrencies is Bitcoin, but thousands of others have unique features and use cases. Investors can use cryptocurrencies for various purposes, including online purchases and investment, and to transfer value across borders quickly and with lower transaction fees than traditional financial systems.
Close to 44% of U.S. adults who've started saving for retirement say they have invested part of their retirement savings in cryptocurrency. Nearly half of these people indicated they had invested a "big" part of their retirement funds in crypto. It's essential to recognize that cryptocurrencies also come with volatility and regulatory considerations that users must be aware of.
Why is Crypto an Appealing Investment for Retirees
Since its inception in 2009, the pioneering cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, has exhibited extraordinary growth. Starting from virtually nothing, it surged to reach peaks exceeding $60,000 per Bitcoin in 2023, attracting the attention of both individual and institutional investors. The idea of using Bitcoin as a potential retirement asset has gained traction for several reasons:
- Diversification: Traditional retirement portfolios often include stocks, bonds, and real estate. Adding Bitcoin to the mix can provide diversification, as cryptocurrencies tend to have a low correlation with traditional assets, which has the potential to reduce portfolio risk.
- Hedge Against Inflation: Many investors view Bitcoin as a hedge against inflation, similar to gold. With central banks worldwide injecting stimulus money into economies, concerns about the devaluation of fiat currencies have grown. Bitcoin's fixed supply (limited to 21 million coins) can protect your wealth from currency devaluation.
- Potential for High Returns: Bitcoin's price history has been marked by significant volatility but has also seen substantial long-term gains.
Some investors hope to capitalize on this growth potential to boost their retirement savings. However, it's important to use caution as digital assets can be risky investments. Consult with a financial advisor experienced in Crypto to help you align cryptocurrency investments with your unique retirement goals and risk tolerance.
Risk vs. Reward
Cryptocurrency has generated a lot of buzz in recent years, with some investors reaping substantial profits. However, it's crucial to understand that investing in crypto is not without its risks, and it may not be the right choice for everyone.
One of the most significant concerns with cryptocurrency is its extreme price volatility. Prices can skyrocket one day and plummet the next. Its volatility is often driven by factors like market sentiment, regulatory developments, or technological advancements. This can lead to significant gains but also substantial losses.
Since the cryptocurrency market is relatively new, it lacks the comprehensive regulation seen in traditional financial markets. This means that investors have fewer protections. In fact, hackers stole $400 million of crypto in the first three months of 2023. Security professionals celebrated that number because it’s 70% less than what was stolen in the first three months of 2022.
Assessing your risk tolerance is a pivotal step when considering cryptocurrency investments, especially during retirement. Making ill-informed decisions in the crypto market could potentially jeopardize your hard-earned nest egg. However, working with the right financial advisor can help you understand your risk tolerance and explore the best investments based on your unique needs and financial goals.
How a Financial Advisor Can Help
While Bitcoin may have its appeal, it's important to remember that it is a highly speculative and risky asset. But with great risk comes the potential for great returns.
"If you invest 2% of your savings and lose it, those savings can eventually be replaced. But if you invest 2% with a 10X return, it's a game changer for your golden years..." said Daniel J. Agemy, CPM®, RFC®, Chief Investment Officer at Agemy Financial Strategies. With over a decade of portfolio management under his belt, Daniel is well-versed in the alternative ways of helping retirees and pre-retirees generate income streams that last throughout their retirement years.
Daniel continues, "As a fiduciary, I believe that seeking guidance for investment advice is essential because it means we are not just committed to your financial success; we are legally bound to always put your interests first, providing you with personalized and trustworthy support on your financial journey."
For more valuable insights from the investing world, including cryptocurrency investing, Daniel and his father, Andrew A. Agemy, MRFC®, Founder and CEO
Investment Advisor at Agemy co-hosts the wildly popular radio show and YouTube podcast Financial Strategies, which airs every weekend in Connecticut and Colorado and is available wherever you listen to your favorite podcasts.
Advice You Can Trust
At Agemy Financial Strategies, we want you to know that we are committed to helping you achieve your retirement goals.
Here's a breakdown of how our experienced advisors can play a crucial role in helping you integrate Bitcoin into your retirement plan:
- Risk Assessment: We can evaluate your risk tolerance and financial situation to help determine whether Bitcoin is a suitable addition to your retirement portfolio. We will help you understand the potential risks and rewards in your investment choices.
- Asset Allocation: Our fiduciaries will assist you in determining the appropriate allocation of Bitcoin within your overall retirement portfolio; helping you maintain a balanced, diversified approach that aligns with your financial goals.
- Tax Implications: Cryptocurrency taxation can be complex, and tax laws can vary from one jurisdiction to another. Agemy Financial Strategies can help you navigate the tax implications of buying, holding, and selling Bitcoin in the context of your retirement plan.
- Long-Term Strategy: Crafting a long-term strategy for your retirement is essential. Our dedicated team of fiduciary advisors can help you set realistic goals, review your plan periodically, and make necessary adjustments to your financial well-being in retirement.
The path to wealth accumulation is marked by a commitment to slow and steady progress, and the realm of cryptocurrency remains shrouded in uncertainty. Could cryptocurrency emerge as a more mainstream investment option in the future? That possibility exists. However, having a skilled financial advisor by your side can help ensure that you navigate this dynamic landscape with levelheadedness.
Bitcoin's potential as a retirement asset is a growing interest, but it's important to approach it with caution and careful planning. At Agemy Financial Strategies, we are dedicated to helping clients navigate the intricacies of planning for retirement to help ensure you never outlive your savings. Our fiduciary advisors can be a valuable resource in helping you navigate the cryptocurrency landscape, assess the risks, and integrate Bitcoin into your retirement strategy to align with your financial goals and risk tolerance.
If you're ready to explore the world of cryptocurrency investing, contact us today to set up your complimentary consultation here.